Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 on IIvx with SyQuest EZ 135
To: Dylan Adams <pumpkin@voicenet.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1997 20:02:28
>    I have had some trouble booting NetBSD 1.2 (along with both BC and
>Non-BC versions of the current kernal) on my IIvx. Everything boots fine,
>no errors to screen or boot log. It goes through the intial RAM stuff fine
>till the line "Copyright regents of california" or something like that.
>After printing that it hangs. No "login," no nothing. The panic switch
>drops me into the debugger, but the keyboard is frozen. Here is my set-up:
>IIvx [('030/33Mhz) w/FPU]
>8 Megs of RAM
>340 Meg Quantum drive
>Apple Keyboard II
>ADB Mouse II
>2x Apple (Sony) CD-ROM Drive
>SyQuest EZ 135 Partioned Using Silverling for NetBSD with:
>     110 Meg Root & Usr
>     20 Meg Swap
>
>I also have a Audio Digitizer/Midi Interface Card and a Farallon Ethernet
>Card Installed. I have tryed taking them out and booting but with same
>results.
>
>Any help in getting BSD up and running would be appriecated. If you need
>more info, I will be happy to provide. Thanks in advance.
>
>Dylan Adams
>pumpkin@voicenet.com

I run NetBSD 1.2 on my IIvx, too.
simple solution: run booter 1.9. not 1.9.1, not 1.9.5, not 1.9.6, not 1.8,
just plain old 1.9. The new versions don't work on the IIvx. also, remember
the regulars: 32-bit addressing on, virtualmemory/ramdoubler off, and
monitor set to 1-bit color (i.e. B+W).
good luck!
  - a