Subject: Re: MicroSpeed Mouse and Madhatter#39
To: mark@giganet.net (Mark Andres), Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1997 12:35:49
> A major change was just made in the ADB code, chances are that this is
> what is causing your problem.

I concur.  I guess I took a chance in skipping directly to the hardware
direct code.  But, it's best to get the bugs worked out of it as soon as
possible.  I much prefer having drivers go directly to the hardware
than dealing with the vagaries of the Macintosh ROM.

> > I then downloaded the GENERIC-27 kernel and both the SONIC driver
> > and the MicroSpeed mouse work fine.  Very strange.

The GENERIC-27 kernel probably gave you internal B&W X support as well.
Lots of things have gotten fixed recently.  Thus my prior email comments
about the madhatter patch becoming obselete very quickly.  Many thanks
to all the people who've done the recent work on the -current code, espec-
ially the SONIC ethernet driver.......;-)

> It may be that GENERIC-27 was built with options MRG_ADB defined...this
> would explain the differences...

This is correct.  The copy of the GENERIC config that is currently
suppable has the MRG_ADB option defined.  It's not in the config file
used for the madhatter kernels, though.

> Chances are that this will shake itself out in a few days once John or
> Scott get a chance to take a look at it.

I'll keep a lookout in the sup logs for changes to the adb files
and possibly compile again next week.

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com