Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 on IIvx with SyQuest EZ 135
To: Dylan Adams <pumpkin@voicenet.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1997 13:00:44
>     I have had some trouble booting NetBSD 1.2 (along with both BC and
> Non-BC versions of the current kernal) on my IIvx. Everything boots fine,

What exactly is a BC vs. non-BC version of the -current kernel?

> no errors to screen or boot log. It goes through the intial RAM stuff fine
> till the line "Copyright regents of california" or something like that.
> After printing that it hangs. No "login," no nothing. The panic switch
> drops me into the debugger, but the keyboard is frozen. Here is my set-up:
> IIvx [('030/33Mhz) w/FPU]
> 8 Megs of RAM
> 340 Meg Quantum drive
> Apple Keyboard II
> ADB Mouse II
> 2x Apple (Sony) CD-ROM Drive
> SyQuest EZ 135 Partioned Using Silverling for NetBSD with:
>      110 Meg Root & Usr
>      20 Meg Swap

All of the above looks pretty vanilla to me...it "should" work just fine.

> I also have a Audio Digitizer/Midi Interface Card and a Farallon Ethernet
> Card Installed. I have tryed taking them out and booting but with same
> results.

The Farallon card should be fine, whether or not the MIDI card will cause
trouble may be another story entirely, but the boot hasn't really gotten
far enough for that to matter anyway.

> Any help in getting BSD up and running would be appriecated. If you need
> more info, I will be happy to provide. Thanks in advance.

Check the FAQ for a list of things to do to make sure that NetBSD will
boot:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

However, probably the most important of the things listed there at the
moment is turning off extensions before booting.  Do you have _any_
extensions enabled?  If so, I'd suggest booting your Mac with the shift
key held down to disable them all.

I hope this helps some.

Later.