Subject: Re: MicroSpeed Mouse and Madhatter#39
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1997 12:56:00
> I just downloaded the Madhatter#39 kernel which uses the -current
> April 2.  The good news is that the SONIC ethernet driver is
> working on my Centris 650.  I can ifconfig without any freezes
> and my mini-LAN is working fine.

Good!  I'll have to add this to the Ethernet Status Page ;-)

> The bad news is that my MicroSpeed three-button mouse does not
> seem to be working correctly using the new kernel.  At boot time,
> the kernel seems to recognize my mouse, but the middle and right
> button do not work properly.  Has anyone else noticed this?

A major change was just made in the ADB code, chances are that this is
what is causing your problem.

> The mouse works fine with Madhatter#37.  I have the bootlog below.
> In particular, the lines:
>
>   adb: using II series hardware support
>   adb: cleanup: nothing returned
>   adb: ADBReInit complete
>
> worry me.  They do not appear when booting with Madhatter#37 (or
> GENERIC-27).

The above really shouldn't worry you, it's simply part of the standard
output from John Wittkowski's direct ADB support.

> I then downloaded the GENERIC-27 kernel and both the SONIC driver
> and the MicroSpeed mouse work fine.  Very strange.

It may be that GENERIC-27 was built with options MRG_ADB defined...this
would explain the differences...

> Here is my bootlog when booting with Madhatter #39:
>
> : NetBSD 1.2D (madhatter) #39: Fri Apr 11 00:23:39 PDT 1997
> :     sbrown@alchemy.miskatonic.edu:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/madhatter
> : Apple Macintosh Centris 650  (68040)
> : real mem = 41943040
> : avail mem = 37642240
> : using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
> : 'Quadra/Centris ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
> : I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
> : adb: using II series hardware support
> : adb: cleanup: nothing returned
> : adb: ADBReInit complete
> : adb: extended keyboard at 2
> : MicroSpeed mouse, default parameters at 3

The only thing that seems a little weird about this is that the above line
was not preceded by adb:   ...I think that it should be...

> : mainbus0 (root)
> : obio0 at mainbus0
> : adb0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
> : asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip
> : intvid0 at obio0: DAFB: Monitor sense 1.
> : intvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
> : grf0 at intvid0

Chances are that this will shake itself out in a few days once John or
Scott get a chance to take a look at it.

Later.