Subject: Re: Routed problem (was "Another type of fsck problem)
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1997 12:46:00
> >I've had a new problem too since installed the latest snapshot files.  When
> >I run pppd, I get errors like these:
> >routed[65]: lo0 has no address
> >routed[65]: ifinit: out of sync
> >Never had these before.  Has anyone had these kind of problems since
> >installing the new snapshot?

A _LOT_ of changes to networking code have gone in since the last
snapshot.  What exactly have you upgraded?  You need to make sure that you
have a recent enough kernel as well as the proper base distribution file.
Since you're having trouble with the rc files, you might consider
upgrading the etc distribution as well (please do this one by hand so you
don't blast your customizations ;-)

> I don't know how it was in the past, since I started to use ppp after
> having installed the 970214 snapshot, but I always get these messages.
> They also come after initializing e.g. the ethernet interface. They seem
> informational only, however, since everything appears to works fine.
>
> What I find more annoying is that configuring the ethernet interface
> (SONIC, on a Quadra 650) at boot time causes pppd to not set up the
> default route through the ppp link when /etc/ppp/ppp-up is called.
> I have to do this by hand before a connection is possible.

Hmmm...is the ethernet interface configured to be the default route?  Of
course I don't know why you can't have 1 default route per interface...

Later.