Subject: Re: Another type of fsck problem...
To: Jon Lefman <jlefman@bu.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/11/1997 15:52:36
Hmmm...  Looks like some confusion here...

fsck -p is what gets run automatically by /etc/rc and it runs with a
defualt to clean up the most common errors.  It also by default will
process all of the file systems listed in /etc/fstab with a non-zero value
in the last column.

fsck -y means to "automatically answer yes" to _any_ questions that fsck
might ask concerning its proposed repairs.  Since -p means "only fix
certain errors and quit on any others" it doesn't make much sense to use
both -p and -y on the same command, since in -p mode fsck won't ask any
questions to which you might be tempted to answer.

As for the /, I'm confused as to why anyone would suggest that this might
fix something?  The / simply tells fsck to process only the root file
system (whose name is /) rather than processing all of the file systems
listed in /etc/fstab.  If it works with / but doesn't work without it,
then I'd suspect something weird about one of your other file systems.

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Jon Lefman wrote:

> >Have you tried:
> >
> >fsck -p -y && reboot -n
> >
> >???
> >
> >That might clear it out...might not...
>
> Now I wonder if I've got a real problem or not.  I remember that someone
> yesterday sent a message about just adding a / after the fsck line in
> /etc/rc.  I'm wondering if I should do the same.
>
> When I tried to "fsck -p -y && reboot -n", I got a usage error from fsck.
> I never had this problem before I installed the "latest" snanpshots off of
> ftp.netbsd.org.  Has anyone else had that problem?
>
> By the way, fsck -p / works, but fsck -p doesn't.  Why would I now need a /
> here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |