Subject: Re: partitioning zip disk
To: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/11/1997 16:08:33
> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > > I used silverlining to partition my zip disk.  However, APS will also
> > > work.  The faq for partitioning a zip disk on macbsd.com provides an
> > > erroneous URL for this.  The only jagubox mirror that still seems to carry
> > > it is:
> > > ftp://mirror.apple.com/mirrors/jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/mac/
> > >
> > > To whoever might change the INSTALL file, two erroneous URLs are listed in
> > > this file, including the original site that is being mirrored.
> > > Just FYI ;)
> >
> > I'll have to take a look at the Zip-HOWTO.  Since APS is commercial
> > software (I think), we probably shouldn't have a pointer to it all...
>
> APS is shareware (and it's pretty good to). Silverlinning is commercial
> though.

Actually, I don't think that it is.  If you can find documentation which
proves this wrong, please do so.  However, I believe that I have read in
the past that the APS formatter is just an OEM version of someone else's
formatter which is distributed with APS drives.  People started posting it
on the 'Net, and now everyone thinks it's free (or something like that).
If you can find licensing terms on it, though, I'd love to see them, since
at least version 2.7.3 seems to work pretty damn well for formatting
NetBSD partitions ;-)

Later.