Subject: Re: requesting infos
To: Christophe Leleu <chrislou@imaginet.fr>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/11/1997 09:59:15
On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Christophe Leleu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use a LCIII Mac. I'd like to try UNIX/LINUX (don't know very well the

	Unix is the name given to the original commercial system developed
	by Bell Labs USA (Now owned by SCO I believe). There are several
	freely available 'unix like' systems including:

		Minix:  A early and rather limited version
		Linux:  Lead by Linus Torvalds
		NetBSD: Covered by this mail-list. (Also www.netbsd.org)

> difference yet) I'd like to know what my computer is able to bear. Also
> to understand the UNIX advantages compared to a 7.5.5 MacOS that is
> quite heavy even with 32 Mo of RAM.

	32Mb should be fine for NetBSD On a mac. However Apple made a
	large number of different macintosh models and not all of them
	run NetBSD (yet). What model do you have?

> I read with attention your explanations pages though I'm not  sure to
> have all understood. Especially about the 1st thing I must have
> installed in order to launch/install Minix (if it is the right system)
>
> Also, I think from what I read, that Minix will allow me a TCP
> connection.

	NetBSD can run TCP over any supported ethernet card (some cards
	are not yet supported), or via a serial line / modem.

> I pasted on a TTX the instructions, I admitt it sounds like chinese
> language.
> Do you eventually  know some french UNIX for mac sites? Or does UNIX  is
> simple enough to make it running without too many problems, trying by
> myself?

	You might want to post to netbsd-help@netbsd.org or
	current-users@netbsd.org and ask if any french speaking NetBSD
	user can help you with any specific questions you might have.

	Good luck!

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.-- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          too drunk to care          |    the hell of the night before    |
|  looked like death, felt like hell  |   I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ been the worse for wear ------'-- and still I'll drink some more --'