Subject: Re: Question about PPP performance
To: None <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/1997 16:41:53
Jason,

Did you really have to quote everything?  We'd appreciate it if you
could trim the quoted messages down to actually relevant parts.

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997 00:06:04 -0400,
"Jason S." <jhsterne@mindspring.com> wrote:

> >The text hilight problem was caused by an incorrect or out-of-date termcap
> >entry.
> >

> Interesting, because IIRC the kernel was the only thing I replaced.  Oh
> well - I'll just be happy it works.

/usr/share/misc/termcap describes how the console is supposed to work.
If you replace only the kernel, and the console driver happens to be
modified in a way so that it becomes incompatible with the old termcap,
you can lose.  I'm not sure if that's the case here, though.

> >The ps "problem" is because your binaries are not in sync with your Kernel.
> >I'd really suggest you get Scott's last snapshot of everything, binaries and
> >Kernel from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k
>
> I tried compiling ps from the -current sources and it still doesn't work.

Not surprisingly.  Ps uses libkvm to get process table out of the kernel
virtual address space.  If your libkvm and kernel are out of synch, ps
will lose.  What you really have to do is update libkvm before updating
ps.

> I have yet to update the entire system (I'm not sure I have enough HD space
> to do it from NetBSD and it is so damn _slow_ from MacOS (even running on
> my PBase 180)).

Why not directly download files into NetBSD, or better yet sup?  You
won't have to deal with MacOS and Installer then...

>  I'll keep trying, though (I wrote a script to replace ps
> in a miniaml way, so it's not crucial.)

Whatever happened to procps Lawrence Kesteloot wrote?

Ken