Subject: Re: Question about PPP performance
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason S. <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/1997 00:06:04
>In article <jhsterne-ya02408000R0404972113080001@news.mindspring.com>, you
>say...
>>
>>In article <jhsterne-ya02408000R0304971945300001@news.mindspring.com>,
>>jhsterne@mindspring.com.nospam (Jason S.) wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running NetBSD 1.2B on a Mac Performa 450 (aka LCIII - 25 MHz 68030)
>>> with 20 MB RAM (GENERICSBC-9 kernel).  For the most part, it has done what
>>> I've wanted it to (including X) but I have a question about the abysmal
>PPP
>>> throughput I've seen under NetBSD, namely, that running MacOS 7.5.5 with
>OT
>>> 1.1.1, the exact same hardware typically gave me 2.5 - 3.5 kilobytes per
>>> second on typical ftps, and under NetBSD I see 1 to 1.5 kilobytes per
>>> second (or less).  I have a Zoom V.34X modem (up to 33.6, although my ISPs
>>> all max out at 28.8) and have set my port speed to 57600.  The V.34 and DC
>>> (data compression) lights both light up when I dial up my ISP under NetBSD
>>> (as well as under MacOS (of course)).
>>

>>[Replying to my own post - oh gawd!]
>>
>>I got some helpful advice via email on this one - try a newer kernel.  I
>>upgraded to GENERICSBC-26 and while I haven't really checked its PPP
>>performance, it did exorcise one of the more annoying demons from my
>>machine - the proclivity to continue inverse text past the point when it
>>was supposed to stop (in, e.g., man pages and lynx).  That makes it worth
>>the price of admission.
>>
>>New problem (with GENERICSBC-26):
>>
>>When I use "ps", I now get "ps: process size mismatch (7824 total, 648
>>chunks)" and no process list.
>>
>>Do I need another version of ps, or is this a kernel bug?
>>
>The text hilight problem was caused by an incorrect or out-of-date termcap
>entry.

Interesting, because IIRC the kernel was the only thing I replaced.  Oh
well - I'll just be happy it works.

>The ps "problem" is because your binaries are not in sync with your Kernel.
>I'd really suggest you get Scott's last snapshot of everything, binaries and
>Kernel from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k

I tried compiling ps from the -current sources and it still doesn't work.
I have yet to update the entire system (I'm not sure I have enough HD space
to do it from NetBSD and it is so damn _slow_ from MacOS (even running on
my PBase 180)).  I'll keep trying, though (I wrote a script to replace ps
in a miniaml way, so it's not crucial.)

J.