Subject: Re: Performa 636 and GENERIC-27/28
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1997 18:26:27
William O Ferry wrote:

>    I managed to get NetBSD successfully up and running using the
>GENERIC-26 kernel a few days ago.  After grabbing the new snapshot and
>the kernel that was with it (GENERIC-27), I found that this kernel did
>not successfully boot on my machine.  I saw the GENERIC-28 as well, and
>tried that one, but it also didn't work.  Here are the boot messages
>from each:
>
>adb: extended keyboard at 2
>adb: extended mouse <LT01> 3-button 400 dpi mouse at 3

This doesn't look like an Apple standard mouse.  Some people have
reported problems booting with strange ADB devices, so you might try
replacing the mouse.

>GENERIC-28:
>NetBSD 1.2D (GENERIC) #29: Tue Apr  8 13:53:49 CDT 1997
>    scottr@beech:/a/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
>Apple Macintosh Quadra 630  (68040)
>real mem = 20971520
>avail mem = 17068032
>using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
>mrg: 'Quadra630 ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
>mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
>adb: using Cuda series hardware support
>adb: cleanup: nothing returned

The ABD Direct code still has some problems with Cuda series hardware on
some system. You might need an MRG Kernel until this gets ironed out.

-bob