Subject: Re: Strange hardware idea, slightly off-topic
To: Dinsdale Piranha <dinsdale@vegas.infi.net>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1997 15:17:11
       Hi,

>I have a IIcx here, with the pokey 16MHz 030 (runs NetBSD a hell of a lot
>more efficiently than MacOS, of course). I was wondering if anyone
>thinks it might be possible to rip out the 16MHz chip (it's probably
>soldered in, but that's another story) and replace it with another 030, say
>a 25MHz or 33 or something.

There is a processor upgrade for the Mac II series called "Marathon". This
kit is supposed to replace the 16 MHz CPU by a 32 MHz 68030 as well as a
PMMU. No soldering is required and the upgrade is fairly cheap.
Diimo/MicroMac sells it. "MacWelt" (German edition of MacWorld) recommended
it as the best upgrade for a IIcx.

I have no experience with this kit (don't have a IIcx) and in particular
don't know if NetBSD will run with it. It may be mentioned on the MacBSD
accelerator page.

Best wishes,

        Nico

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg