Subject: Re: IIcx
To: None <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1997 19:41:17
<<synapse@gim.net>, this address-change will make mail processing less
hectic and more reliable on my part. thanks!)

>On Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:42:01 -0500 (CDT),

>Richard Ervin <<rervin@oasis.novia.net> wrote:

>> > Ummm... Have you checked the obvious first candidates?

>> > 	* MacOS VM turned off

This *WOULD* be a problem if you bought a Mac IIcx that did not have a
PMMU/FDHD upgrade. although the FDHD part doesn't matter really (no
mac68k floppy disk driver yet), a PMMU (Paged Memory Management Unit)
is absolutely essential for NetBSD. PMMU upgrades are generally not
worth it, but considering you bought the machine for $400, i guess you
could get one if you really wanted (or needed) one.

Mac II's and Mac IIcx's (and maybe Mac IIx's) are the only in the Mac
II-series that do not have PMMU by default you needed to get a
multi-chip upgrade kit.

>> > 	* Mode32 installed and enabled with 32-bit mode turned on

>> > 	* Display in Black&White

>> > 	* Booter version -- you want 1.9.6

>I don't know who wrote this, but whoever this is s/he is right,

>except the last.  I don't think 1.9.6 is mandatory.

Probably true. If I remember correctly, the Mac IIcx was the first mac
to run NetBSD/Mac68k, which means you might be able to use an older
booter. try booter 1.8 or 1.9, instead of the newer ones. for instance,
I *do* know that the only booter that works on my machine is 1.9. 1.9.1
doesn't work, neither does any latter version or previous version. the
same problem might apply in your case.

>> I actually have 1.9.5.  I have tried both video-interrupt modes.  I
am

>> booting single user. I am getting up to the Click boot to start
dialog.

>> I Click "Boot", then nothing. Mouse is frozen.

>If you have Virtual Memory in Memory Control Panel turned on, turn it

>OFF.  If you don't have Mode32 installed, install it, and ENABLE
(turn

>ON) 32-bit addressing mode *both* in Mode32 Control Panel *and*
Memory

>Control Panel.  If you have RAMdoubler, GET RID OF IT.

If you ever installed RAM Doubler onto your System, but just merely
removed it, or "uninstalled it" using the installer utility's options,
this might be your problem. When installing, the Installer utility
writes some code to your system file to make it work with RAM Doubler,
and the uninstaller utility does not remove the code from the system
file (or if it does, not fully). This might be confusing booter, or
whatever. In this case, replace your system file with a fresh copy
(remove all fonts, sounds, etc, first though).

good luck,

  - a