Subject: Re: IIcx
To: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1997 21:21:55
Hi,

I have a set-up here nearly the same as yours.  I have a IIcx, same video
card as you, and I started with 8Mb of RAM (I recently upgarded to 20MB).
The only difference is that I have a Quantum 730 HD.  You should
definitely be able to boot into NetBSD.

Have you triple checked all of the suggestions mentioned.  If so, try
increasing the memory allotment for the booter.  Whatever is the default,
double it.  I find that fixes a lot of freezes in Mac programs.

Once you get over this hump, you should like the IIcx because you cna
install the Taras kernel and X colorkit and have X in color.  The only
drawback is the relatively slow CPU in the IIcx.

Mark

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Richard Ervin wrote:

> > > I can't help but think it may be my OS configuration.  I'm using 7.1 on
> > > both.  The IIcx has an Apple "High Resolution Video Display Card" copyright
> > > 1988/1989.  The drive is a brand new Seagate ST1480N.  It has 8 1 MB simms.
> > > No other peripherals.
> > >
> > > What could I be doing wrong?
> >
> > Ummm... Have you checked the obvious first candidates?
> > 	* MacOS VM turned off
> > 	* Mode32 installed and enabled with 32-bit mode turned on
> > 	* Display in Black&White
> > 	* Booter version -- you want 1.9.6
> I actually have 1.9.5.  I have tried both video-interrupt modes.  I am
> booting single user. I am getting up to the Click boot to start dialog.
> I Click "Boot", then nothing. Mouse is frozen.

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!