Subject: Re: A few questions (yes, I've read the FAQs)
To: None <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1997 12:16:58
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:17:40 -0400,
"Jason S." <jhsterne@mindspring.com> wrote:
> 1)	I'd like to fool around with programming this thing (although I am
> most certainly not a professional programmer) and I've alway felt that
> porting old video games to a machine is a good way to get an understanding
> of how it works.  So I fooled around with curses for a while, but it's
> really slow on my 25MHz '030 box; I'd really like to be able to work with
> /dev/grf0.
>
> Question:  Any docs on this available?  Where?

Not really.  But you can just mmap() the frame buffer into the process'
address space and write whatever you want.  I think reading through
dt source would be a good start.

> 2)	(This probably sounds really brain-dead, but I've dl'd and grep'd
> the trn FAQ and couldn't find anything).  I'd like to able to run trn (or
> something similar) on NetBSD.  It worked fine for one newserver (Earthlink)
> which doesn't require a username or password.  Problem: Mindspring (my
> really good ISP) does.  If I set it up for MS and run it, it gives me a 501
> error and quits.  I've gone through the Makefile and the man pages and
> cannot fathom how to make it work properly with MS's authentication system.
> I realize that I should probably post this to a newsreader NG, but since
> I'm here...

When building trn, didn't the configuration script ask you if you
wanted to use login/passwd for NNTP server access?  Even if not,
I remember there was a trn config file somewhere that holds the
info.  Check the configuration script or the header it generates.

Ken