Subject: Re: 'Made With NetBSD' logo
To: None <hshubs@gte.net>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1997 07:50:10
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997 09:58:30 -0500,
Howard S Shubs <hshubs@gte.net> wrote:
> >Please configure your mailer, Alberto.  "email@domain.com" won't work
> >very well...
> >
> >> Now you can include this 'Made With NetBSD' Logo in .gif format with all
> >
> >That's a cute picture.  What do the cat and the globe represent?
> >Actually, if you can get the artwork and permission, I think that your
> >logo with the BSD Daemon instead of the cat would be very nice.
>
> I take it you're not a cat person.  A cat doesn't -need- a reason, any more
> than a woman does.

I think Allen's remarks were asking the cat's _relevancy_ _to_
_NetBSD_ rather than its right to be in the said picture.  I won't
argue your (or Alberto's) rights to depict anything you want in your
drawings.  However, it is not clear at all what the cat in the picture
has to do with NetBSD, or any BSD.  Or, using Allen's words, it is not
clear what "the cat and the globe represent" with regard to NetBSD.

On the other hand, it has become more or less a convention (or a
tradition, if you will) to depict a cartoonish devil-like creature in
BSD-related drawings after _Design and Implementation of 4.3 BSD UNIX_
(aka the Daemon Book) was published with such a creature on its cover.
It is a personified UNIX background process often called a "daemon".
Therefore, if a viewer sees such a creature, it is more likely for the
viewer to infer the connection between the drawing and BSD.

Similar relationships exist as in the cases of FSF/GNU Project and
(obviously) a gnu, Perl and (less obviously) a camel, etc.

Ken