Subject: Re: ppp struggles! please help!
To: Krypto <cyberdog@sunworks.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 20:17:38

> Well.. my setup in MacOS is simple. I am using freeppp. I don't have a
> connect script, or anything of the sort.. I just have a user id field, pw
> field, and phone # field. I click on connect and it works just fine.. my
> problem with the pppsetup scripts were this: I'd fill out the login, pw,
> and phone number.  I got the modem to dialout.. it would dial just fine..
> but it woudln't connect right.. the connection would last for about 30 secs
> to one min at max.. then disconnect.
>
> my setup in MacOS is this:
> * in TCP/IP control panel my  name server address is 163.125.48.70
> * in "addition search domains" I have sunworks.com
> * In "FreePPPSetup" my login is cyberdog
> * In "FreePPPSetup" the pw is 12345
> * Phone number is 527-3353
> * Modem init is ATS0=0
>
> I also have specified the IP address 163.125.48.93 in the "options" menu,
> so I can have a static IP address...
>
> So that is my setup in MacOS... could you tell me how do use this in the
> pppsetup scripts, I'd greatly appreciate it. Please be as specific as
> possible.. I am new to all this :)
>
> Thanks!

Ok. Here goes. Though I've never used FreePPP before.

It sounds like the chat script is failing. As someone else mentioned,
there might be a problem with your modem's response. If you still
have the ppp.setup stuff configured, try deleting the 'CONNECT ""'
line in /etc/ppp/ppp-chat.

The README in the ppp.setup file says what to do with your ISP
phone #, login name, and password.

There's an ATXXXXX line near the top of /etc/ppp/ppp-chat. You need to
change it to your modem init string, "ATS0=0". Note: check in your
modem book to see what that does. My modem book is playing hide-and-seek
under the piles of paper on my desk (quite effectivly, too), so I can't
be sure. Make sure it's not changing all the response messages to
numbers; that'd throw off the whole rest of the script (as it looks for
words).

Does your ISP support things other than ppp? If so, the rest of the
script should be ok.  If they only do ppp, then you might need to
kill the "ppp" at the end of /etc/ppp/ppp-chat.

Also, get the ppp-debug shell script off of ftp.macbsd.com, in
pub/NetBSD/contrib/ppp-setup. Run it as "./ppp-debug on" (possably
after typing chmod a+x ppp-debug) to set up ppp debugging.
Then fire up ppp.

You should see a whole lot of stuff go by on the console. There will
be lots of "sending", "expecting", and "got" type lines.

At the very botton will be the last few sent, expected, got lines.
They are where the problem lies. They wil tell you what's wrong with
the chat script.

That's how to get ppp up. I've not touched how to get netowrking
in general set up. For the list, didn't someone (Colin?) just post
a great tutorial on this?

Take care,

Bill