Subject: Re: NetBSD1.2 - gcc fatal error >*(
To: h0444zkf@rz.hu-berlin.de <h0444zkf@rz.hu-berlin.de>
From: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 21:05:17
>Hi all!
>
>I'm another new NetBSD user. I've installed NetBSD1.2 current on a Mac
>IIci 5meg with
>40meg hd and mounting a 100meg zip while booting (i had to force fstab
>manually to get it mounted). Everything works well exept gcc, it crashes
>most of the time complaining:
> cc1 got fatal signal 4
>or signal 11. It doesn't even work on small programms like tinyirc (it
>did work dt) I've linked the include dir to the zip drive and gcc, cc1
>etc to / from the zip. Is this the reason?

how much swap space do you have? if you have none, that 5 meg memory
blockage is a pretty big set back in accomplishing anything, especially
compiling. :\

To get swap space, you need to reinitialize the root partition (partition
where the kernel is - whether it is the 40MB or the 100MB zip), installing
the driver, then the swap space, then the root&usr (or just root)
partition. the reason you want swap space first is because it's supposed to
be acting like virtual ram, and the outer edge of the physical disk in the
hard drive is where data starts getting written to, and has the most
circumference per turn, which in turn means more speed than the latter
sectors on the hard disk, the ones nearer the center, which are probably
slower. so this is ultimately optimizing the speed of your hard drive, i
guess :)
swap space *must* be on the same drive as the root partition, but i think
there's a way to get around that by some patch or another kernel - i am not
sure, never needed to do that. someone else probably knows.
As a general rule, you should put twice as much swapspace on your drive as
ram (i.e., 5MB RAM x 2 = 10MB swap space) but you might want more because
that is indeed a small amount of RAM. this is a general rule, too. i have
20MB ram and 32MB swap, for example, which isn't following any rules :)

>Another problem i have is with gzip. It almost everytime fails with a crc
>error. This all could be a download error as well (with gcc failing
>because of strange characters). I'd be really happy if someone can help
>me...

i think this comes from attempting to un-gzip binary files accidently
downloaded as text. type "binary" in the ftp program to automatically
download binary for default (for that ftp session). maybe this has to do
with a limited memory limit, too, if that happens to be your problem.

good luck,
  - a