Subject: Re: ppp struggles! please help!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason S. <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 20:51:46
I figured I'd chime in here with the results of my experiences, in the
nature of a reply (really an adjunct) to Bill's excellent advice.

>> Hey folks, I am having major problems getting on the internet from netbsd.
>> I've tried pppsetup.tgz... and i spend 2 soild days trying to get it to
>> work... is there any other software package I can use??
>
>Rather than give up, why not get us to try and help you get it running?
>
>Those scripts are basically the ones I am using right now. They do
>work. Though they are more sophisticated than other working scripts,
>they should be just as easy (or hard) to configure as the part you
>have to configure is the same in each one.
>
>I'm going to get soap-boxy as a number of folks are having problems.
>
>You have to provide two things: the modem intialization string, and
>how to get into your ISP. Both of these things will go into
>the chat script.
>
>The chat script is a set of see-say pairs. chat looks for the first
>thing, then says the next thing. If it looks for a "" item, it
>just goes ahead and says the next thing.

Here I had an annoying problem.  I have two ISPs - Mindspring (hooray!) and
Earthlnk (so-so).  I could get NetBSD online consistently with EL but not
with MS.  So I logged into MS with a terminal window in Open Transport.

Here was the problem:

The ppp scripts I had dl'd assumed that the ppp server would print
"CONNECT" upon connect and wait for a CR (the chatscript included ' CONNECT
""').  But the MS ppp server didn't do this - it just proceeded to the
login prompt.  pppd (or chat - whatever) apparently sat around and waited
for "CONNECT", which never happened.  When I removed this line from the ppp
chatscript, everything worked perfectly.

Advice:  login to your ppp server with a terminal window in OT (or MacPPP
or whatever) and see what happens.  Compare this to your chatscript.

>If your ISP supports ppp under MacOS, STEAL ITS CONFIGURATION!!!!!!!!
>The ATXXX string in ppp.setup.tgz was stolen right out of my copy of MacSLIP.
>Your modem will probably want something else.

I tried this.  It didn't work.  God knows why not.  (After all, its string
works fine with OT). Here's another approach:

Use the dial-up terminal emulator program that came with your modem to
steal its string.  (Just set the terminal emulator to local echo and dial
some number - I used my own home number [busy signal - who cares]. The
string should appear in the terminal window.)