Subject: Re: Booting a Performa 636
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/06/1997 12:15:28
    Thanks largely to Bob Nestor (rnestor@metronet.com), my Performa 636
has finally gotten a real taste of NetBSD!!!  After being told how the
GENERIC-?? files are encoded, I was able to use the kernels inside, but
still couldn't get a working filesystem on the Bernoulli.  Bob helped me
through getting it initialized in a way that Mkfs could understand (the
old Iomega driver seemed to format MFS partitions, not HFS as Mkfs
expects).  So I managed to get some partitions set up on the Bernoulli
and newfs'd (34MB / and 8MB swap on the 44MB cartridge).  And after
being pointed to the newest Installer (1.1c was causing FPU not found
errors on my machine) I was able to get base and etc installed with the
GENERIC-26 kernel, and I just successfully booted it off the Bernoulli!

    I had kinda expected that it would die rather immediately due to the
FPU emulation problems.  But it's been up for 15 minutes so far, and
that's with trying just about every program I can think of.

    While the machine hasn't died, a lot of programs aren't working
right.  Is this part of the FPU problems, or do I need to install more
than base and etc?  For example, df seg faults, uptime reports:
 8:51AM  up 15 mins,  users, load averages: -0., -0., -0.
    vmstat and systat vmstat report missing symbols and die, systat by
itself reports "proc size mismatch (3260 total, 648 chunks)".  Are these
all signs of the missing FPU, or does this more deal with the fact that
the base and etc files are NetBSD-1.2.1 and the kernel is 1.2C?

    On that note, can somebody please point me to where the instructions
to do cross-compiling for mac68k on a NetBSD/i386 box are?  I don't have
the space to install the compilers on my Mac but would like to try a
-current
kernel and such.

    And two more questions:  First off, can anybody suggest some good
(i.e. cheap =) sources where I could buy a real 68040/33 to replace my
LC040?  And also I take it there's no support for the "Apple CS
Ethernet" boards, right?  Anybody working on these?  Can I help??  None
of the devices reported at boot seemed to be ethernet, and I'd really
like to be able to network this machine.

    Here's the kernel output:
NetBSD 1.2C (GENERIC) #26: Thu Mar  6 00:35:56 CST 1997
    scottr@spot:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh Quadra 630  (68040)
real mem = 20971520
avail mem = 17104896
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Quadra630 ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardwar` addresses directly.
adb: bus sybsystem
Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xec80, 0x4180183f, 0x4b807926, 0x  a27ef8
mrg: setup_egret:
mrg_ setup_egret: done.
adb: extended keyboard at 2
adb: extended mouse <LT01> 3-button 400 dpi mouse at 3
mainbus0 (root)
obio0 at mainbus0
adb0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip
esp0 at obio0: address 0x890000: NCR53C96, 16MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus0 at esp0: 8 targets
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <IOMEGA, BETA44, 1.6> SCSI1 0/direct removable
sd0: sd0: could not mode sense (4/5); using fictitious geometry
42MB, 42 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-8004, 1.1f> SCSI2
5/cdrom removable
zsc0 at obio0 chip type 0
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
nubus0 at mainbus0
fpu0 at mainbus0 (emulator)
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a swap on sd0b
sd0: could not mode sense (4/5); using fictitious geometry
sd0: could not mode sense (4/5); using fictitious geometry
sd0: could not mode sense (4/5); using fictitious geometry
PRAM time does not appear to have been read correctly.
PRAM: 0x83da807e, macos_boottime: 0x33477ceb.
root file system type: ffs

    Again, thanks everybody!

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU