Subject: Re: A ppp problem solved and another problem found
To: Jon Lefman <jlefman@bu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/1997 14:02:17

> >Since you're using a modem, don't use clocal. Though why are you setting
> >the configuration in an stty line? Since pppd can (and will) set up the
> >serial line, let it.
>
> The reason I had an stty line in the script was because I thought it was
> necessary because it was in the sample script.  I was thinking it was
> ppp-in-a-box.  I didn't know that pppd took care of everything on the
> serial port.  Why was there an stty line in the sample script?  Also, in
> ppp-up, what's the umask 077 line supposed to do?

The umask makes it so only root can read the files created by the script
and its called commands. I gather you're talking about the ppp-connect
script? There's a copy of the chat script made on the fly. As it might
contain passwords, only root should be able to see it.

I might have misunderstood you before. I thought you were trying to
set ppp parameters from an stty command.

The stty in ppp-connect is for chat to work right. chat (not ppp) needs
to be able to talk to the modem w/o waiting for the carrier to be
present. I'm not sure if that stty is needed, but it is only setting
things for the life of the dialing process.

> >Do you have crtscts in your options file for ppp? If crtscts is in
> >force when ppp is running, the serial drivers will respect the flow
> >control lines. But ppp modifies the serial port settings as it goes
> >along, so just because you have it in the stty before you start doesn't
> >mean it's being used.
>
> No, I have it in my options file.  Double-checked that many times.  I still
> can't pppd to stop sending when the FC light goes low.

While ppp is running, try "stty -e -f /dev/tty00" and see what the
settings are while ppp is up.

The serial drivers will certainly respect CTS going low if crtscts is
asserted. They will immediately stop sending (any character in
transmission will of course be finished).

One other question. Are you using the modem initialization string you
use inder MacOS? The modem string in the non-demand-dial kit is just
the one MacSlIP was using on my modem. Your modem might need different.

Take care,

Bill