Subject: Re: Minumun Installation of X?
To: None <email@domain.com>
From: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/1997 14:20:43
> Can anybody tell me how can I make a very very very minimun install of X
> in order to test it on my mac? I mean:
>
> -I only have 80MB of hard disk, which are the right partitions? How much
> for SWAP? How much for the Root?

I have it installed happily on an 80mb drive.  I have a 64mb root, and
16mb swap (12mb ram).

With base12,etc12, netbsd12, xserver12, and xbase12, it shows 78% full,
leaving about 6.5mb left. (oh, and i deleted most of zoneinfo, for
another 1%.  I don't think you can install x with less than these.
However, i think you could get a lot of space back by stripping away a
lot of the fonts.  However, i couldn't tell you which are needed.

Also, you need to be able to boot macos to boot macbsd; the booter is a
mac program.  But you might be able to cram this onto a floppy.
Split your disk into the two partitions, but make the swap-to-be a mac
partition.  Put the initial files on here, install onto the other, then
delete the mac partition, installing a swap instead.  Then copy your
disktools diskette, and put the booter on there instead of something
else.

rick