Subject: Printing
To: None <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/1997 11:16:42
Just a note if you can find room for it in the FAQ, Colin...
port-mac68k folks might be interested, too.

I have a laser printer that has AppleTalk, serial, and parallel
connectors on it (NEC Silentwriter 95).  I picked up a device for
about $130 from DataCommWarehouse called the "Axis NPS 530" print
server.  It plugs into the parallel port on the printer and onto
an ethernet network (10baseT or thinwire--depending on the model
that you buy).  I can now print to a networked printer under NetBSD.
As a bonus, I can also now pull my localtalk network and set the
MacOS machine(s) up to use EtherTalk.

There are other print server devices available, but this was relatively
cheap and I've been impressed with their service so far (I will be
getting an EPROM software upgrade--the darn thing can apparently be
configured via HTTP in the new version--I used "arp" and "ftp"
(under BSD) and the Chooser (under MacOS) to configure it)...  Only
downside so far is that it doesn't appear to work with Apple's
Laserwriter 8 print driver, but it does appear to work with
Laserwriter.  I am hoping that the EPROM upgrade will fix this.

AXIS's web site: http://www.axis.se/

Cheers,
-allen

--