Subject: Re: X Window window scroll bars?
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/1997 05:01:00
Alan,

>> > Ummm...should X Window windows have scroll bars?
>> Not by themselves.  Scroll bars are a function of the window manager, if
>> you're running one, such as twm or fvwm.
>
>Actually, scrollbars are a function of the application.  Xterm, by
>default, doesn't use them, but you may enable them in several ways as
>folks here have pointed out.

I will try some of those ways today (after reading the man pages :-)

>I actually only rarely want scrollbars on my windows...  If I need to
>scroll back, I usually need to scroll about 10 lines past whatever I've
>set my limit to be...  No matter what I set my limit to be.

Hehe.  Murphy's Law of windows.

For me it wasn't a question of scrolling *back*, but rather seeing the
last lines printed (scrolling *forward*).  When, for example, I list a
directory with a lot of files in it, the top of the list stays on the
screen right after the command prompt at which I typed "ls".  The list,
however, runs down and then off the screen and off the monitor.  The
bottom of the window is well below the bottom of the screen and I can not
position the window high enough to re-size the window from the bottom.

Thanks,

Sean.

T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com
TSSchulze@aol.com

Hope is not a course of action.  (But prayer is a combat multiplier.)