Subject: Re: Booting a Performa 636
To: netbsd.com <port-mac68k@netbsd.com>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/04/1997 02:38:20
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-mac68k: 3-Apr-97 Re:
Booting a Performa 636 by Colin Wood@is.rice.edu
> > Logging to bootlog
> > Booting...sizeof struct exec = 32
> > Boot error: This kernel is not in a format which the booter can execute.
> >
> > *********** Boot Stopped. ***********
>
> It's telling you what's wrong, the kernel is in the wrong format ;-)
> Chances are that the kernel files you are grabbing are in gzip format or
> else in tarred gzipped format.  Use a copy of MacGzip and/or Tar to get a
> raw kernel file and try to boot it.

    You mean to tell me that files with no extensions are compressed?
How is one to know what to decompress it with?  I'd hope that files with
names like "GENERIC-22" wouldn't be compressed with anything that the
Booter itself couldn't read.  I have MacGzip and Tar, both won't do
anything to this file.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/