Subject: Booting a Performa 636
To: netbsd.org <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/03/1997 20:13:17
    I've been interested in at least getting a kernel to boot on my
machine for a long time, but something always manages to go wrong.  Now
that I just got a SCSI drive for my machine, I figured I'd give it
another shot.  Unfortunately, this drive is a Bernoulli 44MB drive.  Is
it possible to put some sort of miniroot on this drive?

    Also, where can I get a kernel that has a good chance of working on
the 636 (I know about the LC040 problems, so I know it won't do much
more than boot, but I haven't even been able to get THAT far yet.  Even
with the LC040, the kernel should at least load, right???), and a booter
that likes it?  I have 3 versions of the Booter on my machine, 1.9.5,
1.9.4, and a 1.9 that's hacked for a large miniroot.  All 3 of them
won't load any kernel I've ever tried feeding to them.  Every kernel, no
matter how I grab it (fetch binary or ascii, copying over via NFS using
MachTen, AppleShare) fails with the bootlog:

Logging to bootlog
Booting...sizeof struct exec = 32
Boot error: This kernel is not in a format which the booter can execute.

    I've tried this both under 7.5.1 and 7.5.3R2.

    Somebody please help???  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/