Subject: Re: Newbie help
To: None <Nerobro@aol.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/03/1997 14:56:29

> Well here I go:
>
> 1. I need help acessing the superuser Account, I get the Autologin and can
> wander around but when I try to login as root I get "don't use root use su"
>  SO I try to login as su and I get nowhere as I don't know the defualt
> password.

We need to get that message changed. It's not saying, "Don't use the
root account, use the su account," it's saying, "Don't login as root
to gain root access, use su to gain root access." The difference is that
when you log in as root, there's no trail as to who you are. But if
you log in via your account, and then use su to gain root access,
there is a log entry saying who gained root access.

Since you're using a single-user, single-root machine, you can forget this.
I do. You can remove the message by editing "/root/.login". Or just
ignore it. I do.

> 2.  I know that NetBSD can understand the macintosh file system but I was
> wondering on how to mount it.

You need to get a set of utilities to do it. I'll let other folks point
you to the source (as I don't know the best location).

> 3. This may sound futile but I want to try and run Xwindows on my mac but the
> big problem I am running into is finding a video card driver.

?? If the kernel can recognize your monitor, then you can run X on it.

AFAIK, all machines we run on support monochrome X (1-bit color). Supporting
8-bit color (or 8-bit grayscale) is a work-in-progress.

> 4.  This is even worse but how can I get my computer to dial out and
> establish a PPP conection with my internet provider?
> I do have NetBSD installed..... I mean the package.  But There is this little
> thing where I cannot use it becouse I am not logged in as su.

There are two ppp kits on ftp.macbsd.com. I put one together, and Paul
Goyette put the other together. One just does ppp, and supports dynamic
IP addresses. The other supports demand-dial ppp, but requires a static
IP address from your ISP.

Take care,

Bill