Subject: Re: About the installation on a Classic II
To: None <email@domain.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/03/1997 13:29:21
> I have a Classic II and I have tried to install the NetBSd several times
> and it doesn't work. I have even tried the kernel ADBtest-160...
> But first, I'll tell you how I make the installation:
>
> I have a Classic II with FPU, extended keyboard and 4MB of Ram.
> I first made a standar partition of AUx/Mac with the SCSI setup tool
> from Apple. Then I had 6MB for a MacOS partition, 55 for an AUX Root
> one, 18 for SWAP and 3MB for something named 'Autorecovery'...
> Then I used the Mkfs Tool to format the three partitions above: the
> Root, the Swap, and the Autorecovery.

Feel free to blast the Autorecovery partition and combine it into your
A/UX Root & User partition...it's not needed by non-A/UX systems (and
from my understanding, it's not really needed under A/UX either).

You really might want to get some more RAM if you can, tho.

> And Finally I installed the Kernel ADBtest160 in the AUX Root, the
> 'Base12' file and the 'etc12' one with the install utility.

You might try a newer kernel than the ADBTEST#160.  I think that -current
GENERIC kernels should support the ClassicII just fine.

> And then when I boot, it says something like:
>
> 'Panic: Kernel jump to zero
> _Debugger x0x6: unlk a6
> db> PM Error: cd36'
>
> Is a problem of the kernel? is the machine? is the human? is the booter
> options problem? is the formating time problem?

I can't remember if ADBTEST#160 did support the Classic II or not (I
think it did).  However, it might be really useful if we had some context
for the error above...what did the output from the boot sequence say
right before this error (i.e. how far along in the boot was it before it
died...)

Later.