Subject: Re: Mac <=> PC
To: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/03/1997 14:19:55
Hi,

I didn't see that part about cables being answered specifically, so I will
take a crack at it.

You will probably need 2 cables, unless you can find one that matches your
needs perfectly.  Here is how I do it in 2 cables.

1) Standard Macintosh modem cable.  This is probably going to be 9-pin
(Mac style) male to 25-pin (PC-style) male.

2) A null modem (or cross) cable which is 25-pin (PC-style) female to
whatever connector will connect to the serial port (COMM port) on your PC.

In my case, I have an old IBM Thinkpad which I connect to my Mac like
this:

Mac 9-pin male -straight- PC 9-pin male <connects to> PC 9-pin female
-null modem- PC 9-pin female.  The COMM1 on my Thinkpad is 9-pin male.

Hope this helps,

Mark

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Benoit MARTEL wrote:

> I've heard of many people connecting 2 Macs or 2 PCs with cables but has
> anybody around here connected a Mac to a PC and if so how does one go
> about it? (what kind of cable).

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!