Subject: Re: hfsutils
To: None <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@sandia.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1997 22:28:02
In message <199704030313.VAA25684@is.rice.edu>, Colin Wood writes:
>> Apr  2 20:42:45 dinah-moe /netbsd: adb: extended mouse <LT01> 3-button 400 dpi mouse at 15
>
>Logitech mouse, huh?  How well does it work?

Quite well.  I bought it because I couldn't stand X with a 1 button.  Its a
MouseMan
M/N: M-AH32
P/N:840015-01

It has a util under macOs to map the extra buttons into keycommands that
vary with the running application.  I don't use it.  With X, its great.

>It may just be that the 20MB drive is so old that it has some problems or
>doesn't implement the SCSI spec quite right (of course I'm kinda grasping
>at straws here...)

I could believe that.  Its physically twice the size as the 1G

>> Apr  2 20:55:55 dinah-moe /netbsd: sd0: mode sense (4) returned
>> nonsense; using fictitious geometry
>
>Hmmm...I usually don't get these at all...
>
>> dinah-moe-dan (105)-% /sbin/disklabel /dev/sd0a
>> # /dev/sd0a:
>> type: SCSI
>> disk: SCSI disk
>> label: fictitious
>> flags:
>> bytes/sector: 512
>> sectors/track: 32
>> tracks/cylinder: 64
>> sectors/cylinder: 2048
>> cylinders: 80
>> total sectors: 164139
>> rpm: 3600
>> interleave: 1
>> trackskew: 0
>> cylinderskew: 0
>> headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
>> track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
>> drivedata: 0
>>
>> 2 partitions:
>> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>>   a:   156270       96       HFS                        # (Cyl.    0*- 76*)
>>   b:     7773   156366   unknown                        # (Cyl.   76*- 80*)
>> disklabel: boot block size 0
>> disklabel: super block size 0
>> disklabel: warning, unused partition c: size 164139 offset 0
>>
>> This drive is my 80mb mac only drive.  Under netbsd 1.1, I could access it
>> via xhfs (although I seem to remember using /dev/sd0c).
>> Now, when I run xfhs, I can open /dev/sd0a see my top level directory (mac),
>> immediately close /dev/sd0a and then when I exit xhfs, I get
>>
>> panic: kernel jump to zero
>> Stopped at _Debugger + 0x6: unlk a6
>> db> trace
>> _Debugger (20eec,2e18,866edc,0,866f08) +6
>> _panic (2e18,0,0,0,0) + 34
>> _jmp0panic() + 12
>> db> cont
>
>Yeah, it would be real helpful if you typed 'trace' here instead of
>'cont' and we can see exactly where the problem is occuring...

??  Do I type trace again?  I'm not sure what you mean.  Are there
more arguments I should give to trace?

>The name Ender is from _Ender's_Game_ by Orson Scott Card.  If you like
>scifi, you should read it; it's really good.

I do and I will.  Thanks,

Dan