Subject: Re: ppp problems all over again.
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1997 16:58:17
On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Another option is to add the "lock" option. pppd will then generate a
> uucp lock file, which lives somewhere in var. The advantage of this
> method is that it is named based on the tty port rather than the ppp
> number. The difference comes when you have two pppd's up at once. This
> way, it doesn't matter in what order you start the pppd's. You can always
> kill the modem or the printer one.

Oh, cool :) I knew about the lock files, but I forgot that they contained
the pid of the process that owned the lock. Someone asked me about this,
and I said there wasn't an easy way to do it... oops :) Sorry, bout that!

Only thing is that if you're using demand dialing, the lock files don't
get created until the serial port is actually open, and it gets removed
when the link disconnects.

The lock file is in /var/spool/lock, BTW... filename LCK..ttyXX

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++