Subject: Re: Ethernet
To: Adam Alexander <yacko@comanche.wildstar.net>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1997 10:59:37
Adam Alexander wrote:

> I plan to use my 6216 as the machine connected to the line, because I
> assume this new technology (fairly new anyhow) requires some special
> software to be run in MacOS. The cable modem will connect to my 6216 via
> ethernet, and then I want an ethernet line running to my IIx...

Well, I'm not sure what type of cable modem you are using, but
my cable modem simply attaches to the host computer using
a "null" 10BT cable (i.e. a host-host cable that doesn't
require a dedicated hub). No special software is needed.

To the host computer (MacOS, NetBSD, PC, Linux, whatever) the
cable modem simply looks like a router. You set up the host
machine as you would normally given the IPs, etc. that the
cable company gives you. It's exactly like being on a LAN.

I'll note that my experience is with the LANcity modems that
@Home uses in the San Francisco Bay area, your setup may be
different. I have had all of the above mentioned machines
attached to this modem with no problem. No special software
at all.

	--John