Subject: Re: hfsutils
To: G. Evans <gevans@televar.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1997 10:35:07
Well, the actual partition number doesn't really matter.  What you need to
do is use the `disklabel' command to see what the NetBSD partitions are,
and then match things up with your Mac partioning utility's info.   As far
as I remember, /dev/sdxc is always "the whole disk", /dev/sdxa is always
the first Root or Root&Usr partition, if any, /dev/sdxg is always the
first Usr partition, if any, and /dev/sdxb is always the first swap , if
any.  I've also found that /dev/sdxd usually ends up being the Mac Driver
partition, pretty much useless under NetBSD.  All other partitions are
assigned in alphabetical order, using whatever letters (between a and h)
are left.

"First" in this case means tht it is listed nearer to the beginning of the
disk's Partition Map partition.  It isn't _necessarily_ the partition
nearest to the beginning (Cylinder 0) of the disk!  :)

On Wed,
2 Apr 1997, G. Evans wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> Thanks for the info on how to use hfsutils, yep, it worked just fine.
> Guess I should have read the proverbial fine print about sd1c mounting the
> *entire* drive :)
>
> Now that I have successfully managed to hose my 3 gig drive, what I am
> wondering is this.  Providing I can recover it (fat chance, I know) how do
> I mount a particular partition on that drive or, when I reformat it (much
> more likely), I will be partitioning it into 5 parts, how do I use
> hfsitils to work with a particular partition (let's say it is called
> 'Backup' and it is the 5th HFS partition)?
>
> Next question is once I am working with the 'Backup' partition, is it
> possible and feasable for me to do something like:
>
> # tar (-)cvf /dev/<where the HFS partition shows up> fs.tar /
>
> that way when I go back into the MacOS, and I look at the backup
> partition, I should have a complete backup of my Unix system
>
> Heh Heh...good thing I didn't have anything that was Critical on my
> HD..except maybe the OS...Oh well, needed to reformat anyway ;)
>
> -Greg
>

> > > Can someone explain to me how I can use hmount to mount my Mac partitions
> > > on my external drive.  The drive has an SCSI ID of 4 and shows up as sd1
> > > when I boot netbsd.  I have tried
> > >
> > > hmount Games sd1x (where x is the partition number)
> > >
> > > and it tells me:
> > >
> > > hmount: Games: error opening device (No such file or directory)
> > >
> > > It tells me the same thing no matter what I put for sd1x, I am confused,
> > > please help.
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > hmount /dev/sd1c
> >

> > That should mount it, assuming that you only have 1 partition on that
> > drive.  If you have more, do a disklabel on the drive and figure out
> > which partition letter it is (c accesses the whole disk).  Keep in mind that
> > the hfsutils don't actually mount the filesystem in the BSD filesystem,
> > so there is no need to specify a mount point or anything like that.  I
> > would recommend using either the shell (hfsh?) or the X browser (xhfs) if
> > you are going to access your Mac partitions.  It's much easier that way.
> >
> > I hope this helps.
> >
> > Later.
> >
> > --
> > Colin Wood                                      ender@is.rice.edu
> > Consultant                                        Rice University
> > Information Technology Services                       Houston, TX
> >

> -Greg Evans (macintosh-guru@televar.com)
>

> <obligatory.signature>
>
>   The Box said Win '95 or better - So I used a Macintosh!
> 			-Harold Herbert Tessman
>
>    The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
>    armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological
>    chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling
>    second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
> 			-Douglas Adams, on Windows '95
>
> </obligatory.signature>

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |