Subject: Re: hfsutils
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: G. Evans <gevans@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1997 09:36:27
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

Thanks for the info on how to use hfsutils, yep, it worked just fine.
Guess I should have read the proverbial fine print about sd1c mounting the
*entire* drive :)

Now that I have successfully managed to hose my 3 gig drive, what I am
wondering is this.  Providing I can recover it (fat chance, I know) how do
I mount a particular partition on that drive or, when I reformat it (much
more likely), I will be partitioning it into 5 parts, how do I use
hfsitils to work with a particular partition (let's say it is called
'Backup' and it is the 5th HFS partition)?

Next question is once I am working with the 'Backup' partition, is it
possible and feasable for me to do something like:

# tar (-)cvf /dev/<where the HFS partition shows up> fs.tar /

that way when I go back into the MacOS, and I look at the backup
partition, I should have a complete backup of my Unix system

Heh Heh...good thing I didn't have anything that was Critical on my
HD..except maybe the OS...Oh well, needed to reformat anyway ;)

-Greg

> > Can someone explain to me how I can use hmount to mount my Mac partitions
> > on my external drive.  The drive has an SCSI ID of 4 and shows up as sd1
> > when I boot netbsd.  I have tried
> >
> > hmount Games sd1x (where x is the partition number)
> >
> > and it tells me:
> >
> > hmount: Games: error opening device (No such file or directory)
> >
> > It tells me the same thing no matter what I put for sd1x, I am confused,
> > please help.
>
> Try:
>
> hmount /dev/sd1c
>

> That should mount it, assuming that you only have 1 partition on that
> drive.  If you have more, do a disklabel on the drive and figure out
> which partition letter it is (c accesses the whole disk).  Keep in mind that
> the hfsutils don't actually mount the filesystem in the BSD filesystem,
> so there is no need to specify a mount point or anything like that.  I
> would recommend using either the shell (hfsh?) or the X browser (xhfs) if
> you are going to access your Mac partitions.  It's much easier that way.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                      ender@is.rice.edu
> Consultant                                        Rice University
> Information Technology Services                       Houston, TX

-Greg Evans (macintosh-guru@televar.com)

<obligatory.signature>

  The Box said Win '95 or better - So I used a Macintosh!
			-Harold Herbert Tessman

   The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
   armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological
   chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling
   second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
			-Douglas Adams, on Windows '95

</obligatory.signature>