Subject: Re: SONIC support in new kernels
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1997 23:50:42
At 10:53 AM -0500 1/4/97, Allen Briggs wrote:
>SONIC doesn't quite work in current kernels for several machines.  We
>aren't getting the MAC address correctly on the PB5xx machines, and folks
>have reported problems on the second-generation Quadras (610/650/etc).

On my PB550C, with the kernel available at
ftp://ftp.aa.ap.titech.ac.jp/pub/yanagisw/NetBSD/netbsd_PB550c_SONIC.
tar.gz, done by Takeshi Yanagisawa, my PB can find the 550c's MAC address
if I boot with extensions, especially the Onboard ethernet extension
loaded.  If I boot with extensions disabled, hold the shift key down, or if
the machine crashes and never tried to access SONIC, the machine will boot
without knowing the MAC address.  It's purely cosmetic though.  SONIC works
fine on this machine, even under heavy FTP and X server loads...

My two cents worth...
Steve