Subject: Re: ppp problems all over again.
To: xiamin <ingerrn@cris.com>
From: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1997 21:30:43
>On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, synapse wrote:
>
>> my setup involves myself having a dynamic address, and the remote host
>> having a dynamic address (a bunch of Ascend MAX's). this rules out
>
>if you get ppp working with dynamic ip, please post it somewhere...id
>love to have this too, right now i am using dip to a slip connection.
>especialy if you find ouut some way for it to print out what your ip is
>thise session....

you can't get pppd working at all?! oh, i have at least that much. it's
just that the scripts are a pain in the neck. well here's my current setup:
in the file /etc/ppp/options, i put:
---cut here---
/dev/tty00
57600
noipdefault
modem
connect '/etc/ppp/chatfile'
---cut here---
the /dev/tty00 is the modem port, and /dev/tty01 is the printer port. 57600
is my bps rate, modem does some special thing i forget about and
noipdefault allows dynamic IP's. connect specifies the connect script to be
used.
in the file /etc/ppp/chatfile, i put:
---cut here---
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/chat -v \
"" "atz" \
"OK" "ate1v1" \
"OK" "atdt5551212" \
"ogin: " "my_username_here" \
"assword: " "my_password_here"
---cut here---
this really simple script offers no frills, hence making it this simple.
basically, the chat program waits for whatever is specified between the
first set of quotes and, when receives, sends the stuff in the second set
of quotes, along with a carriage return. notice the \'s at the end of the
lines...you need them. i can't remember whether or not i was supposed to
have the \ on the last line, but looking at it right now, i don't, and it's
been working this way for months.  if you're not copy-pasting this, notice
the space after the colon and before the closing quote in "ogin: ".
depending on who your provider is, you might need that space there. same
applies for the "assword: " prompt.
in /etc/resolv.conf, i have:
---cut here---
domain mydomain.com
nameserver 255.255.255.255
nameserver 255.255.255.254
nameserver 255.255.255.253
---cut here---
you get the idea about the nameservers. :) domain is your internet
provider's domain, or what shows up in reverse DNS when you log on to IRC,
for example, or nslookup your ip address. this never seemed crucial, but
anyway...
well, that sets up my pppd enough to just connect. type "pppd" to get it
working.
this setup doesn't offer anything with busy signals, connection drops
(something i just thought of: reading over the options file in the ppp
scripts i didn't have success with, i think that the "lcp-echo-interval 30"
and the "lcp-echo-failure 10" might fix this. add them on seperate lines to
your options file and play around with it, i guess, let me know what you
find...), or anything else. to kill your ppp connection, kill the pppd
process. do *NOT* kill -9 it, because that will screw up your routing
tables and you'll have to restart your system to fix it (this took me
awhile to learn, just thought you might want to know). i have a handy
little ppp killing script that i chmod 755'd and put in /usr/local/bin
(doesn't matter really, somewhere convenient. it has:

kill `ps -auxw|grep pppd|awk '{print $2}'`

which kills the pppd process. depending how fast this command is, you might
get a no such process reply, but that process is the other process
containing "pppd" in it, being the "grep pppd" you just executed :) i guess
you could throw a sleep 20 in there, but i'm too lazy.
good luck, email me for problems if you have any...
  - a