Subject: Re: Still disconnecting...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Lefman <jlefman@bu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1997 17:13:04
Hi again,

Someone a day or two ago recommended that I enable mdmbuf on the comm port.
Just to inform anyone who's interested, I read the man page for stty and I
think it said that mdmbuf should only be used if you're using carrier
detect.  I'm not using carrier detect and the modem cable I'm using doesn't
support it, I don't think many Mac comm cables do.

Here's some more info:  I might be totally off, but it's worth a shot.  I
tried going back to a 1.1 kernel, something from June/July 1996.  When I
used my current ppp-up script, when trying to transfer using sup, I got
zstty0 fifo overruns.  When I get these, all incoming data is stopped and I
cannot ping anything in the outside world after that.  After a couple of
tries to talk to anyone on the other end, the connection just drops.

Now when I'm using the netbsd12 generic kernel, I appear to have the same
problem (all incoming data stops and I can't talk to anyone on the outside
and eventually the connection dies), but I get no overrun errors reported.
Could I still be getting overrun errors and not be notified and could
something like this be happening?

Could someone tar/gzip one of the new SONIC kernels and post it someplace?
I'm hoping that a newer kernel might be worth a shot.  If it doesn't work,
at least I'll know it's not anything in the kernel and it's a config
problem or something that I'm just not seeing.

Thanks,

Jon