Subject: Re: PPP for a LAN
To: Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1997 13:02:33
> Could someone who uses PPP to connect a NetBSD box to either NetBSD or
> preferably a Mac over a printer-type cable please share their PPP setup
> with me?  I still can't get the blasted thing to work.  And should that
> cable support hardware flow control?

Whoops! Forgot the second half.

I fire up pppd using a script, as opposed to putting it in /etc/ttys.
Just style.

I took the ppp.setup kit I had on puma and split it up some. I'll send
you the complete thing tonight. But the thing you posted before should
work, except that you want "defaultroute" in the command ONLY on the
machine w/o the modem. For the modem'd mac, you want defaultroute
on the modem port.

Here's a guess at how it should be:

/etc/ppp/options (common to all ports)
crtscts
domain Stanford.EDU
other stuff about lcp & such.
lock

options for tty00 (modem) on modem'd machine
defaultroute

options for tty01 (other mac) on modem'd machine
passive   (might be in global options, not sure)
10.0.0.2:10.0.0.3  (localIP:RemoteIP)

options for tty0X (other mac) on non-modem'd machine
defaultroute

I'll email you the exact setup tonight.

I think the one problem you might have had before was having
two pppd's on the modem'd mac both having "defaultroute" set.

Take care,

Bill