Subject: Re: PPP for a LAN
To: Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1997 12:53:57
> Could someone who uses PPP to connect a NetBSD box to either NetBSD or
> preferably a Mac over a printer-type cable please share their PPP setup
> with me?  I still can't get the blasted thing to work.  And should that
> cable support hardware flow control?

In reverse order, probably not needed. Though crtscts will have the
mac shut up when asked, it WON'T ask the other side to shut up.
Thus if you have two macs talking, they will never ask the other
to shut up.

In the current driver, if you assert BOTH mdmbuf and crtscts,
you should get a mode where the mac will ask the other side
to shut up. Though I never tested it. It might not work.

Just for the archives, the new version will support "cdtrcts" as
a hardware flow control mode where DTR will be used to tell the
other side to shut up. Just like how printers do it now. You can
tell which version of the driver you have by the messages at
boot. If they are

zsc0 at ...
zstty0 at zsc0 ...
zstty1 at zsc0 ...

Then you have the old one. If they are more like

zsc0 at ...
zsc0 channel 0 ...
zstty0 at zsc0 ...
zsc0 channel 1 ...