Subject: Re: NetBSD/mac68k 1.2.1, gcc 2.7.2.2
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1997 12:38:22
At 8:02 PM 3/30/97, Nico van Eikema Hommes wrote:
>I found a NetBSD/mac68k 1.2.1 release on ftp.netbsd.org, one month more
>recent than the latest -current snapshot. However, after installing it,

I think Colin explained this.

>Now what had prompted me to update in the firs place? I would like to
>install g77 and that requires gcc 2.7.2.2. The -current snapshot has
>version 2.7.2; the newer release might have come with the newer gcc.
>Unfortunately, it did not.

Well I have two answers to this one:  The first answer is that I think
there are very few code lines that were changed between 2.7.2 and 2.7.2.2
so I think g77 should still install over it with no problem.  (I haven't
tried.)

The second answer is that the justification for the release of 2.7.2.1
after the 2.7.x chain was supposedly frozen was a fairly nasty
code-generation bug in the 68000 port of gcc.

I haven't followed the NetBSD discussions of 2.7.2 vice 2.7.2.2, but I
would think that if you are into "stable, patched" releases like NetBSD
1.2.1 then you would also want gcc 2.7.2.2.  YMMV.