Subject: Re: Ethernet...ethernet
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1997 15:01:36
>> > Well, the 660av (and I assume the 840av also) still don't work, because
>> > they use the AMD MACE ethernet chip not the sonic... anyone working on
>> > MACE support, or know where to find source that could be useful in writing
>> > a driver? :) Solaris has a "qe" MACE driver, FWIW, but that's not
>> > particularly useful :)
>>
>> Well, it's important to understand that the AV macs are practically
>>PowerMacs
>> without the PowerPC chip. If people want information on AV mac internals a
>> good place to start is the MkLinux and Linux pmac kernels.
>>
>> I know that even though the pmac kernels are only for 7200 or better
>>machines
>> they still use the MACE. That's a good start for that. Code for the SWIM3
>> (sans formatting) is also in there.
>
>I know this is a little off topic, but is there any easy way to look at
>MkLinux source, or do you have to download then entire kernel source tar
>file?
>
>Later.
>
>--
>Colin Wood                                      ender@is.rice.edu
>Consultant                                        Rice University
>Information Technology Services                       Houston, TX

I know of no better way, but if their are specific files you are looking
for I can arrange for distribution of any (small) specific subset from the
May 1996 Developer Relase 1 CD(If some one can point me to the most recent
site I can also download and unpack new stuff).  It is best if you know
what files you want, but if you just want the ones related to the MACE, I
am familar with where those are.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu