Subject: Re: Configuring Ethernet NB
To: None <JRChang+@CMU.EDU>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1997 13:48:38
> Perhaps this is a silly question, but I am new to NetBSD...

It's not a silly question, especially since the Ethernet Status Page
doesn't have this card listed on it (although it will later today)...

> I have a Mac IIsi with an Apple Ethernet NB Card.  I am using the
> standard 1.2.1 kernel.  I followed the directions in the Ethernet Howto,
> but ifconfig ae0 says
>
>     ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured
>
> How can I get Ethernet working?

At the moment, you can't.  The problem is that the Apple Ethernet NB card
has a MC68000 chip on it to do some of the ethernet processing.  Since no
one has added support for this setup, it won't work with NetBSD.  You can
always try to work on supporting the card yourself, though ;-)

I hope this clarifies matters a bit.

Later.