Subject: Re: Test kernels...
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1997 09:19:31
> I've just tried your kernel on my Quadra 650, with following results:
> 1. When booting, the messages are slightly different:
>      /netbsd: intvid0 at obio0: DAFB: Monitor sense 1.
>      /netbsd: ite at grf0 not configured
>    whereas madhatter #38 prints
>      /netbsd: intvid0 at obio0: Internal Video
>      /netbsd: ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)

Cool.  That means that you are using the internal video.  If you use a
nubus card for video instead, those line would be completely missing (if
I understand the monitor sense correctly--it works that way on my Q700).

> 2. X works in B/W. The 960512 color-X kernel still complains about modes
>    #80 and #83 being unavailable, so I didn't test color.

Right.  The DAFB support doesn't extend to color, yet.

> 3. Built-in ethernet does not work.

Grumble.  Is there anyone who is interested in doing some printf()-style
debugging on this?  You'll need to be building your own kernels with
today's sources.  I expect that we're missing some simple but vital bit
of configuration.

Hmm.  Can you pop the hood on your machine and identify the model number
of the SONIC?  It should be something like DP83932 and have a National
Semiconductor logo on it.

I wonder if the Q650 uses the same model as the PowerBooks instead of
the same model as the Q700...

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com