Subject: Re: powerbook 520c
To: None <shagboy@mindstorm.com>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1997 17:58:54
On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 01:39:10 -0500 (EST),
Racer X <shagboy@mindstorm.com> wrote:
> I've got a PowerBook 520c that I have reasonable access to, and I'd
> appreciate if if someone could answer these questions.  I've taken a good
> look at the netbsd & macbsd sites, and neither seem to give a
> straight-forward answer.  I've hacked on Unix plenty, and done a bit of
> 68k assembly stuff, but I don't know Macs too well, so forgive me if I ask
> a FAQ.

Hi,

I know I'm not answering your questions, but I'll just go ahead and
say what I have to say:

	NetBSD does not run on PowerBook 520/540 just yet, due to a
	long-standing floating point emulator bug that's been worked
	on for a while now.  I'm the one who's been doing the fixing
	work, but I've found very little time to acutally work on it
	so far.  What you can do is either get a CPU upgrade from the
	540c's 68LC040 processor to 68040 processor, or wait til I fix
	the bug.

As some of the port-mac68k list subscribers may remember, I'm planning
to put up a document onto Web in which I try to explain things related
to this much more thoroughly.  I'll let you all know when it becomes
available.

Sorry for this disappointing news.

Ken