Subject: powerbook 520c
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Racer X <shagboy@mindstorm.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1997 01:39:10
Hi,

I've got a PowerBook 520c that I have reasonable access to, and I'd
appreciate if if someone could answer these questions.  I've taken a good
look at the netbsd & macbsd sites, and neither seem to give a
straight-forward answer.  I've hacked on Unix plenty, and done a bit of
68k assembly stuff, but I don't know Macs too well, so forgive me if I ask
a FAQ.

1) Is there some way I can *nondestructively* repartition a Mac disk, so
as to have a partition just for BSD?  I'm fairly sure I could just add a
Zip drive and get around that, but I don't currently own a Zip drive.

2) Assuming that's yes, what exactly do I need to do to get a
semi-operation system up?  I don't have to be able to build any apps, or
dial up with the modem; I just want it to boot and give me a shell and a
filesystem.  I can provide more info about the system if necessary, just
tell me what you want.

3) Is anyone working on some sort of step-by-step guide for this?  It
would be great for people like me who aren't afraid of hacking around with
BSD once it's on the machine, but who don't have a clue of how to get it
on there without hosing MacOS.

Thanks for your help.  I'm really impressed with the work done so far, and
I hope to be able to contribute in some way.

Thanks-
shag

Judd Bourgeois          PGP key ID 0xEDC21CA1
shagboy@mindstorm.com   25DDE4AF C5AFEF51 6905DC77 360F0387
The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it.
     -- Abbie Hoffman