Subject: Re: IP Masking, monitors, et al.
To: Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 17:38:59
> Which brings up...the PPP link.
>
> I use the line described in the FWTK FAQ:
> pppd /dev/tty00 57600 passive -detach asyncmap 0x000000 defaultroute \
> 	local lock my-ip:other-ip
>
> The cable is a standard printer cable.

I've never used the FWTK, but I'm kinda confused by this pppd line.
It looks to me like it's setting up a fixed connection on the modem
port. Is that what you want? Is this for the machine that's behind
the firewall? I'd have intuitively expected the modem connection
on tty00, and to have a script to talk (and dial) the modem.

> But now, when I connect the two, I get a fine PPP link...but telnet
> connects without offering a login prompt.  Ditto for other services.  It
> just echos my characters.
>
> Sometimes, spontaneously, it gives me the prompt and I can log in...but
> not reliably.  Any ideas?  Should I be using crtsrts (sp?) or not?

Weird.

Take care,

Bill