Subject: Re: IP Masking, monitors, et al.
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 20:26:24
On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Mark Andres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in a similar situation as I share 1 monitor with two NetBSD boxes.
> Here is what I do.  First, I boot my IIcx with the monitor connected.
> Once it has booted, I turn the monitor off, and then disconnect the
> monitor.  Then, I plug the monitor into my C650 and boot up.  I set up a
> ppp connect between the two machines.  If I need to work directly on the
> IIcx, I just plug the monitor back.
>
> I don't think there is any problem with plugging and unplugging the video
> monitor, but just to be paranoid, I always make sure the monitor is off
> first.
Great minds must think alike...you just described what I've been doing for
days.

I just wanted to avoid the monitor swap for a while.  I only use the
netbsd for gatewaying, really.

Which brings up...the PPP link.

I use the line described in the FWTK FAQ:
pppd /dev/tty00 57600 passive -detach asyncmap 0x000000 defaultroute \
	local lock my-ip:other-ip

The cable is a standard printer cable.

But now, when I connect the two, I get a fine PPP link...but telnet
connects without offering a login prompt.  Ditto for other services.  It
just echos my characters.

Sometimes, spontaneously, it gives me the prompt and I can log in...but
not reliably.  Any ideas?  Should I be using crtsrts (sp?) or not?