Subject: Re: IP Masking, monitors, et al.
To: Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 17:18:44
> On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Colin Wood wrote:
> > I seriously doubt that using a paperclip on it will permanently screw up
> > the machine in any way.  At worst, you might have to go and adjust the
> > resolution settings under MacOS when you attach the adapter.  If this
> > weren't the case, you'd have trouble switching between monitors on the
> > Mac, and I've been able to pretty much plug'n'play with any monitor I've
> > wanted to on my Mac, assuming I can find the right adapter.
> >
> Thanks.  On a barely related note....is it true that there is potential of
> a worrisome magnitude to fry one's video card on the newer powermacs by
> switching monitors while it's on?
>
> I used to do this a lot on my older machines but i recall hearing it isn't
> safe...  Is this just Apple's DON'T DO ANYTTHING approach to safety?

Well, personally, I'd never hot-swap _anything_ that plugs into my Mac
(well, ok, I've hot-swapped ADB devices on IIcx's for years and it's
never caused a problem, even though it's supposed to blow the ADB
controller, and I've also swapped out SCSI devices before without
destroying anything, but I'll never do that again ;-)  In general, I
think it's better if you simply turn things off before adding or removing
hardware.

Later.