Subject: Re: IP Masking, monitors, et al.
To: Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 16:56:54
> > My strong suggestion is to just use the paperclip. Messing with the
> > console could well break other parts of the kernel. Plus you can't
> > swap kernels around easily.
> >
> > Shorting the pins makes the Mac think there's a monitor when there's not.
> >

> But again - every so often I need to use a console on this thing.  I don't
> want to short out the pins unless I know my VGA monitor will still work
> without them.

I seriously doubt that using a paperclip on it will permanently screw up
the machine in any way.  At worst, you might have to go and adjust the
resolution settings under MacOS when you attach the adapter.  If this
weren't the case, you'd have trouble switching between monitors on the
Mac, and I've been able to pretty much plug'n'play with any monitor I've
wanted to on my Mac, assuming I can find the right adapter.

I hope this helps.

Later.