Subject: Re: NetBSD/mac68k 1.2.1, gcc 2.7.2.2
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 16:52:55
> I found a NetBSD/mac68k 1.2.1 release on ftp.netbsd.org, one month more
> recent than the latest -current snapshot. However, after installing it,
> I found it to at least appear to be much less recent. All config files
> were older, kmem commands were out-of-sync with the kernel, etc.
> Needless to say, I'm back to the -current snapshot, but I feel a bit
> confused about this release. Comments, anyone?

This is totally expected.  NetBSD 1.2.1 is a patch release that fixes
numerous rather nasty bugs in the 1.2 release (i.e. it's probably more
stable than the 1.2 release), but it is _not_ more current than
-current.  Rather, it merges a few fixes into the older 1.2 code.  So,
it's still quite similar to the 1.2 release.  If you are only into
running stable releases, you'd probably want to upgrade to the 1.2.1
patch.  If you're running -current, go ahead and stay with it.

> Now what had prompted me to update in the firs place? I would like to
> install g77 and that requires gcc 2.7.2.2. The -current snapshot has
> version 2.7.2; the newer release might have come with the newer gcc.
> Unfortunately, it did not.
> So, is gcc 2.7.2.2 already available in ready-to-install form? If yes,
> where can I find it?

As I said above, the 1.2.1 release is not really newer than -current
(even though the snapshot is a month old now).  As for 2.7.2.2, it might
be available off of a NetBSD-Amiga mirror, but it might not.  I don't
believe that NetBSD has moved up to that version of gcc yet, and might
not for a while (there seem to be lot's of discussion of this on
current-users from time to time, and tech-toolchain as well).

I hope this clears some things up.

Later.